Houston, Part 2: Space Center Houston



So, our time in Houston was only half over, and it was my turn to drive. I'm sure that Harold would have preferred to continue on in his usual spot in the driver's seat, but we had to make a quick stop to pick up a Hard Rock Cafe shot glass to add to our collection, and while Harold was inside we were illegally parked. I became paranoid and hopped in the driver's seat, just in case anyone came to share their objections to our law-breaking ways. Anyway, this was one of Harold's only photos he took while on our little mini-vacay in Houston...and yes, I agree, I do drive like a Grandma. But some would say that this is not such a bad thing, especially my Mother, who would suggest that most Grandma's (like herself) are pretty much bad-asses. So say what you will...no offense taken, here.


We spent our morning at the Downtown Houston Aquarium and after Aden woke up from his nap, it was time to head to the Space Center Houston. As much as I love aquariums and all things animals, Harold loves science and all things with informational signs. This place was certain to be my husband's new favorite place, considering if he could do anything in the world I'm sure he would choose to be an astronaut.


Aden is definitely taking after his Daddy when it comes to signs and learning random facts that few people appreciate.  These two were hard to keep up with as they roamed the center looking at all of the exhibits. I'm pretty sure that Aden was mostly drawn to the signs because most of them were glowing and had interactive pictures, but it was still fun to see them both learning together.


Our little tiger doing his best to prove his superhuman strength. "Grrrrrrrrr!!!"
 Last, but not least, in our list of activities at the Space Center, was a quick trip through their giant 'Angry Birds' climbing toy. This thing was massive...the pictures do not do it justice. I don't know if you can see Harold in this one, but there on the left (climbing up the shelves) is Aden in his tiger pants. Harold was just beneath him, and just as he started to climb up after Aden, a wave of 6 or 7 year old boys ran on a raging stampede through the level just behind him. (You can see 2 of what seemed like 15 of them) I sat and watched helplessly as they took over the shelves and shoved their way right over, around and on top of Harold. Somehow they all missed Aden completely (thankfully, otherwise their Mother's would have been hearing a little bit from me) but watching Harold get stuck in a tube while those wild little monsters trampled him was actually one of the most hilarious things I have ever seen!! I was snapping pictures and laughing so hard I was nearly to tears...I wasn't even sure that I had captured any of it (which I really didn't) but I didn't care. This was just too funny to miss in person.

And here we go, on our way back to the airport to get ourselves on that plane and back on track to Seattle. But we couldn't leave without driving by the actual Johnson Space Center, where all the real astronauts are, with all of their real space ships and their real command center...where they really say, "Houston, we have liftoff!"...or at least where they used to say that.

This entry was posted on Monday, December 31, 2012. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply